Pitara Furniture’s Live edge furniture store in Mumbai #woodfurniture has the unique natural look of live edge which is one of the trendier styles for those seeking one-of-a-kind #rusticfurniture.
Live edge furniture or natural edge is a style of furniture where the furniture designer or craftsperson incorporates the natural edge of the wood into the design of the piece. Ideally salvaged wood that could not be used in conventional woodworking is used . There are special challenges involved in working with this type of wood, and several methods for live edge have developed. Some leave the natural holes and cracks in the wood while other artists fill them with resins.
History of live edge Furniture:
Live edge furniture is believed to have originated around the 1600s in America, when the settlers required functional furniture quickly, so opted for basic pieces made from unfinished wood.
Availability of live edge furniture store in Mumbai #woodfurnitureinmumbai
There is a wide variety of live edge wooden furniture stores in the Mumbai.
The tricks used by lumber stores is that they apply a coat or mixes of colours/tints to imitate a distinct wood colour and can easily trick the customers. Hence picking wooden furniture from reputed lumber stores would definitely help.
Types of wood available in Mumbai are – Walnut, Suar wood,White cedar, White oak etc.
The expensive international varieties are also available with select stores.
Tips to pick the right quality of live edge furniture
- Asking for a Check on the moisture content of the wood we choose to buy would definitely help. Its ideal to pick a piece below 16% of moisture.
- Choose the shape of our liking. Grains maybe vibrant and bold or subtle and sober.
- Unfinished slabs of live edge are cheaper. The grains may not be visible in such slabs to Check but these can be seen or enhanced by wiping the surface with water.
- Remove the bark and carefully not chip the shape or sides.
Pros and Cons of buying a live edge wooden furniture
Pros: This live edge wooden furniture gives the kind of rustic look that is a scene stealer and grabs quite a few eyeballs. Its beauty is unmatched and it’s a style which never goes out of style. It can be matched with a modern theme, a rustic theme(naturally), a bohemian kind of look or even a Scandinavian look with a subtle type of wood.
Cons: Live edge wooden furniture is not for the kind of people who like every edge and every corner to be perfectly aligned and uniformly finished. The natural cracks need to be accepted and loved and cherished and trying to repair them is futile.
The burls or any other defect has to be accepted.
Moisture is checked before the wood is readied, but there are always chances of the cracks widening or newer lines appearing due to water shrinkage or realigning happening beneath.
The solution to some extent could be to Pick wood from a reliable place.
The above situations can still happen which can be repaired.
The pros far outweigh the cons.
The rough and wild look of live edge combined with the colourful hand painted drawers add magic as a study table while also being high on Utility.
Same can be used as a centre table with base in a vibrant #Bohemian look.
Live edge furniture can be combined with traditional fabric like the patchwork to add a dash of colour and amp up the look of the room… Maybe as a #bench or a #seater.
Maintenance of Live edge furniture
wood being a natural product of nature attracts insects and pests.
The live edge wood is treated before any other process begins. (which can be confirmed again with the store owner). Lastly, this kind of wood is a treat to the eyes and the end product is definitely worth the efforts and pains taken.
– A good coat of varnish protects the wood. A regular coat every 3 years depending on the usage would keep the wood nice and strong for a long time. The maintenance is similar to other wood products. Ideally use a coaster while keeping any hot mug or such items on it.
– Clean with scratch free cloth. Don’t leave items that stain on it and wipe the spillage immediately before it stains.
Above all, love your wood and treat it with care like a any other natural product.